Re: [SLUG] Potato -> Woody

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Tom Massey wrote:

> A question for those who follow the Debian path:

Yes, my holy brother...

[Have Potato, will travel]

> If in my /etc/apt/sources.list I put
>
> deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> And then do an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, do I end up with a
> working Debian Woody system or a broken pile of poo?

All I can say is, It Worked For Me, after some fiddling.  You may have to do
multiple cycles of

apt-get dist-upgrade
dpkg --configure --pending

To get it all going.  When apt-get doesn't do anything, it's all done.

This is because of, I believe, a Perl thing.  Some Woody packages need Perl
5.6 things, and so if it isn't there it has a bit of a whinge.  Installing
Perl 5.6 packages after the update but before the dist-upgrade helps, but
doesn't quite seem to fix the problem.

I'm assuming that this problem will be fixed before release (and may even be
fixed now) but it was a problem when I did the same thing some time ago.
Also, note that you'll need a pretty chunky net connection to suck down all
the packages for a reasonably sized system.

> I'm mainly interested in getting a Debian system that can handle iptables,
> which apparently needs libc6 >=2.2.3-1 (though I think this may be just a
> dependency that apt-get and co need to run the config stuff or something
> like that - with libc6 2.1.3-18 I can dpkg -i iptables 1.2.2-2, it
> complains and refuses to configure it, but it still seems to work fine, I
> can set up a firewall and masq stuff with no problems, but apt-get is
> unusable because it complains and exits since iptables hasn't been
> configured as far as it can tell).

A common problem.  My solution is to copy everything from that package into
/usr/local and then uninstall the package.  <g>  [Cue rant about the whole
/usr thing, and why can't we use package-specific directories]