Re: [SLUG] boot problem

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 08:32:35AM +1000, Wayne Crich wrote:

> > My new RH7.1 system works fine except it has placed lilo only on the
> > boot floppy not on hda1. Wher can I find how to move it ? If I try and
> > boot from hda1 I get onlt L. No windows on this box at all, hdb1 is the
> > main drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Your /etc/lilo.conf should look something like this (assuming your
mention of hdb1 above is a typo and it should be hda1):

    # where to put lilo (/dev/hda is MBR)
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    install=/boot/boot.b
    # display the prompt for 5 seconds then boot `linux'
    prompt
    timeout=50
    default=linux

    # linux, root partition is /dev/hda1
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1

Then simply run lilo.  If you're paranoid, make sure you have a working
boot floppy (or the RH7.1 CD) before you do it so you can recover if
necessary.

Cheers,

John
--