Re: [SLUG] Can't exec binary file

(I can't find the original post for this thread so)

Are your by any chance running redhat 7.1? Are you
trying to get a binary working that used to work fine
on 6.2?

I installed 7.1 on a Gateway 2100 and then installed
some older rpms like xsnow-1.39-2 for example.
When I try to run xsnow I get:-

 /usr/bin/X11/xsnow not found:

 $ ls -l /usr/bin/X11/xsnow

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     root        23500 Nov 20  1996\ /usr/bin/X11/xsnow*

 $ file /usr/bin/X11/xsnow

 ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 \
 dynamically linked (uses shared libs),

This has happened with a number of other binary
executables the most notable being MicroStation.

So what gives? Is the shared library for RH7.1 not
backward compatible?

Also I couldn't get my pcmcia card to work under 7.1
insmod reported that there was no such device, I thought
the pcmcia card might have died but I re-installed 6.2
and it works fine. Service packs for Redhat anyone? ;-)

rgds

Pete