Re: [SLUG] (no subject)

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 09:43:47AM +1000, chesty wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 12:50:13PM +1000, Brian Hunt wrote:
> > Does anyone know what VM stands for and does it relate to the VM in vmlinux?
>
> VM stands for virtual memory, I could only guess what the vm in vmlinux means.

IIRC, the vm in vmlinux is a throwback to the days of "real" UNIX
systems, which at some point had a kernel called "unix", and another
called "vmunix" if you wanted to run your system with virtual memory.
The disadvantage of vmunix was it would overcommit memory, so if too
many things ran it could get ugly (but it could run more things than
with vm).

Anyone more knowledgable about this stuff should feel free to correct
me...

-Andrew.