Re: [SLUG] Stuff you miss from Windows...

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, David wrote:

> I know this is off-topic, but being in a Microsoft free zone, there is no
> one else I can turn to for info.
>
> Friends of mine are having nervous breakdowns about the following, quote:
>
> "I was told of a new virus tonight by my brother-in-law. He has found it
> on every corporate computer he has worked on in the last month. Apparently
> they estimate that 85% of Australian computers have this already. It is
> set to trigger Monday apparently. It is a file called SULFNBK.EXE - 44k in
> size and it is in the Windows/Command Folder. Looks like a windows logo. I
> found it on mine tonight. If it is there delete it and then empty the
> trash bin as it is designed to pop back out unless you do. It, once
> triggered, wipes your entire hard disk."   ........... end quote.
>
> ... but I heard on a radio interview that it is in fact a hoax, and that
> SULFNBK.EXE is a system file. Putting aside jokes about the entire Windows
> system being one giant hoax/virus, can anyone shed any light?

http://vil.nai.com/vil/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99084

It's a hoax. In fact, the file SULFNBK.EXE appears to be an actual part of
WindoZe, not an add-on at all.

But no, I do NOT miss WindoZe magic ability to become virus infected from
just about anywhere.

DaZZa - who loves his virus free Linux box