Re: [SLUG] Filesystem Wars (was SLUG Pastimes)

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 06:42:38PM +1000, Andre Pang wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 02:22:00 +1000, David Fisher wrote:
>
> > It should be perfectly obvious to all sensible people that the time is ripe
> > for a filesystem holy war.
>
> holy war joo want, holy war joo'll get!
>
> > Reason being, it's time I put in a journalling filesystem on colossus and
> > arachnid, but, which one?

	Since we're discussing this anyway how good is the journalling
anway on either xfs or reiserfs. I'm in the middle of building an mp3
player for my car, might do a talk on it when I'm done. Anyway I don't
want to go to the effort of hacking together some circtry to auto
shutdown when it loses 12V from the iginition etc etc.

	So with reiser or xfs can I just switch it off and not have too
many problems. ie this means being turned off without shutdown
constantly ie say I drove my car everyday it would be turned off 365*2
times per year.

	Basically should I be able to maintain filesystem integrity. My
other option is to mount everything read only I could probably get away
with it but it's just a hassle and I'd rather not.

--
John Ferlito
Senior Engineer - Bulletproof Networks