Re: [SLUG] clock timer problems

Stephen Pirie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Mandrake 8.0 on a 500 Mhz K6-II system with 128 MBytes
> Memory.
>
> I've started getting errors, even after I've halted the system.  The
> error is "probable hardware but: clock timer configuration lost --
> probably a VIA686a motherboard."
>
> Anyone know if this is definitely a hardware problem?

I think it's a problem with the APIC code in the 2.4.3 kernel,
doesn't play nice with this motherboard. You can recompile
the kernel without APIC, or boot with 'noapic' - I think this
should go into /etc/lilo.conf as append= "noapic". Don't know
if this is still a problem with later kernels. You may find
some more info searching the Mandrake mailing lists,
<http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/flists.php3> I'm pretty sure
it's been discussed there.

Hope this helps,

Tom