[SLUG] 2.4.3 kernel compilation problem

I cannot get my system to boot the 2.4.3 kernel supplied on APC's Advanced
Linux CD set. I get the following message immediately after selecting the new
kernel in Lilo:
	"No setup signature found"

I have religiously followed the procedure outlined in the Mandrake
Documentation and the Help screens in xconfig. The only changes I maded to
defaults were where I was 100% confident (e.g the brand of sound card in my
machine). I chose "save and exit" then ran
"make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install && make
install" (Ch 14 LM Reference manual)

The new vmlinuz-2.4.3 and System.map-2.4.3 are in /boot and are referenced in
Lilo as follows

image=/boot/vmlinuz --------------- this works and boots 2.2.17
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hda5