Re: [SLUG] Argh! My drive no work

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 02:00:20PM +1000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 01:39:38PM +1000, chesty uttered:
>
> > Filesystems-HOWTO should help you recover (or completely destory :)
> > your filesystem.
>
> Erm, nope it doesn't.  It tells me about E2fsprogs which I have and have
> tried e2fsck...  No luck and there don't seem to be any options in the
> man page for recovering from this problem short of alternate superblocks
> -- which don't seem to work.  Should I be trying other superblocks?
> What numbers do I need to use?  Can I search through the fs for them?

There a few other utilities from the filesystems-howto that
you didn't mention that I thought would be helpful to you.

 Fixdisktable
 http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/fat32.html

 This is a utility that handles ext2, FAT, NTFS, ufs, BSD disklabels
 (but not yet old Linux swap partitions); it actually will rewrite
 the partition table, if you give it permission.

 gpart
 http://home.pages.de/~michab/gpart/

 GPART is a utility that handles ext2, FAT, Linux swap, HPFS, NTFS,
 FreeBSD and Solaris/x86 disklabels, minix, reiser fs; it prints a
 proposed contents for the primary partition table, and is well-
 documented.

 rescuept
 Recognizes ext2 superblocks, FAT partitions, swap partitions, and
 extended partition tables; it may also recognize BSD disklabels and
 Unixware 7 partitions.  It prints out information that can be used
 with fdisk or sfdisk to reconstruct the partition table.  It is in
 the non-installed part of the util-linux distribution.

 findsuper
 e2progs ?
 Small utility that finds blocks with the ext2 superblock signature,
 and prints out location and some info.  It is in the non-installed
 part of the e2progs distribution.

From memory theres another utility called debugfs.
Maybe the undelete-howto might also help?
You might try freshmeat for the missing url's, it may lead you
to better places anyway.

--
	chesty