Re: [ProgSoc] Telstra Cable Internet Sharing

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, jedd wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:46, Mendel wrote:
> > The closest i  got to setting something like that up was once trying to
> > use my switch as a router which it is not, i.e. you cannot connect cable
> > modem straight to a switch or hub.
>
>  Apparently you can -- Telstra's slightly aborted DHCP server will
>  happily distribute you 3 ip addresses (from memory).  Though why
>  you'd do it .. is anyone's guess.  To connect to a hub, of course, you'd
>  need a swapover cable .. 2/7, 3/4, 5/6 .. or some combo like that.  It's
>  been quite a while since I've fiddled with homemade UTP cables.

You can and I did; the swapover cable supplied with the modem works quite
nicely. (The modem is generally plugged straight into the computer, hence
it being supplied with a crossover cable.) It's a particularly bad idea on
a hub, though. Someone else mentioned that they had a firewall with two
network cards, one straight to modem and one to a hub/switch. This is my
current setup. Works well. :)

I'll send you the copy of BPAlogin that I use and various relevant config
files if you'd like.

- Nicholas

--
He he... I sure fooled her, the ones at the bottom are mostly dead.
 - http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=628518