Re: [ProgSoc] Speech by Oracle CEO Larry Ellison at Yale Graduating Class of 2000

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 09:16:55PM +1000, Rupert Su wrote:
> I know ... it's just really really insightful ...

If your only measure of value is how much you earn then it explains
why the idea of learning doesn't appeal.

Generally someone who is really interested in what they do will not
have the same drive for financial reward than someone who doesn't like
what they do but does it anyway to get paid.

Since I can understand how computers work and what makes software good,
I am in a position to buy computers at half the price of a Dell and
use software that costs next to nothing and does a better job than the
expensive stuff. Although money is still useful to me, I don't need
as much to get by as someone who only knows how to walk into a showroom
and point at something.

Having said that, I am finding that the current UTS conditions are a
little on the poor side even for my tastes <sigh>, at least that is the
current situation in Engineering.

--
S1G: 8111125 seconds remaining			- Tel