[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[ProgSoc] Beer voltages




Okay, ProgSoc got the Funway book for $5.  Quote from page 44:

	NOTE:  Do NOT drink the beer after use.  Apart from the fact
	that it will taste really horrible, it could be poisonous
	because it has been in contact with copper.  Throw the beer
	out immediately you have finished using it!

Anyway, it's for the beer-powered radio, which uses a ZN414 IC, and they
say that if you use more than five beakers of beer, you will overload the
IC.  They also say that you can substitute the beer for a 9V battery plus
a 33Kohm resistor.

So what does this mean?

I tried applying V=IR but got stuck.

	Battery:    9 = I * 33000
		    I = 9/33000 A
		      = 3/11 mA
		      = approx .25 mA

	Beer:       V = I * R	where R = 0?
		   (V = beaker voltage * 5)

Without the battery + 300Kohm resistor, there's a 100Kohm resistor in
there, plus two capacitors (0.1uF and 0.01uF), a var capacitor with range
60-160pF, the IC and, finally, the earphone.
	
CK.

-
You are subscribed to the progsoc mailing list. To unsubscribe, send a
message containing "unsubscribe" to progsoc-request@nospam.progsoc.uts.edu.au.
If you are having trouble, ask owner-progsoc@nospam.progsoc.uts.edu.au for help.