Re: [ProgSoc] port scanning, mapping, and hiding

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Telford Tendys wrote:

> They are supposed to be offering you a service which you pay for;
> you wouldn't buy beer from a pub where you saw the bartender pissing
> in the glass would you?
>
> Why to you find it acceptable when Optus gives you similar treatment?

Yeah it's great as far as pure capitalist theory goes, but unfortunately
in real life a lot of customer inertia lets people like Optus get away
with things.  Sometimes the intertia is the customer's fault, sometimes
it's the company's fault (eg Microsoft making new "standards"), and we end
up with anti-trust laws even in America.  I suppose if we were talking
Optus local calls then the issue would be letting people keep their own
phone number.  People also would like to keep their email addresses etc
but in the end it gets way too impractical.  But it goes without saying,
these are plenty of reasons why customers don't just change at the drop of
a hat.

Cable modems -- you get very stuck very easily.  Only two choices and both
of them use different modems.  DSL is (going to be) a lot better because
Telstra is being forced to let you choose your ISP on the back-end.

CK.