[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[ProgSoc] Linux X
Patrick Kennedy@nospam.KEYCORP LTD.
06/15/98 12:47 PM
for those who might be interested.....
finally got XFree86 (v3.2) running on Slackware (v2.0.29) on i486DX2/66
with Tseng Labs ET4000AX
* to recap the problem: i couldn't get X to run, not even the Setup script
* tried upgrading to XFree86 v3.3.2 (the latest) because XF Org reckon
it'll fix most problems. Downloaded it and burnt a CD under 96 and bloody
Linux wouldn't read the CD (#@nospam.!$#$!%)....but it doesn't fix the problems, i
read the Tseng config files under 95 and saw that they hadn't fixed
Jack...but that's ok
* tried different monitor, change every setting for the vert and horiz
synch and refresh (obviously not everyone, 'cause it still didn't work)
* ran the command line version of XF86Setup, which changed the seetings,
but still didn't worked
* try using X, every Xfree server, startx everything, no go
* for an entirely different reason, i had to re-install the system (even
though this _never_ happens with anything except MS Windows! <grin>)
* ran XF86Setup just for the hell of it, and the F***ing thing worked!!
now XFree is setup and works brilliantly, execpt i can't run anything above
640x480 (v card limitation i think) and can't get it to start when i boot
(besides putting startx in my .login script, that is)
so the moral of the story is....well i dunno.....never actually figured out
what was wrong, nor how to fix it, so i really don't know
the only difference between the last install and the previous one is that i
chose packages to install from the menus, rather than get it to prompt me
for every single component it was installing (learnt my lesson from the
any ideas on why it would work all of a sudden?
also, any suggestions for a good WM? i've got FVWM95 and MWM at the
moment....any other good ones that are Motif compliant?
W e b m a s t e r
Keycorp Limited, Sydney Australia
+612 9414 5429 (w) +612 0412 577 362 (m)
You are subscribed to the progsoc mailing list. To unsubscribe, send a
message containing "unsubscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having trouble, ask email@example.com for help.
This list is archived at <http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/lists/progsoc/>