Re: [ProgSoc] questions

Peter Meric (pmeric@nospam.progsoc.uts.edu.au)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 12:16:39 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Paul Cameron wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Pat wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> >
> > } Some people (Jana mode on) may even go so far as to suggest
> > } that uni-degree-equipped people come across as more clueless
> > } in certain circumstances. (Why do com-sci graduates have such
> > } a difficult time finding a good job - yet people with the
> > } same number of years *experience*, rather than education,
> > } do not?)
> >
> > i think you're missing the point of your own observation :)
> > it is the fact that those people have that experience that they can get a
> > good job. The degree means nothing if you don't know nothing.
> > Hey i should know, my course teaches my jack in the field i'm working, so
> > any success i have achieved has been from my own hard work (?) and
> > skills...not the piece of paper (quite a shitty piece of paper from UTS,
> > might i add)
>
> OK, if you are an intelligent hard worker, then why bother going to
> university if you can achieve the same success working independantly ?

You could. But our system generally prefers some measure of a person's
ability before outlaying money. A degree is a good starting place, as
it is supposed to show that you have attained a minimum standard of
intelligence/knowledge.

> If you do, then does that mean all the unmotivated, untalented people go
> to UTS for a Computer Science degree ?

Maybe, but it's more difficult to achieve the same success without
the degree, given everything else remains equal.

> Does a combination of experience intelligence and a nice university degree
> mean more than experience and intelligence ? Probably not, by your logic,
> and true for quite a lot of people.

Probably not. Because the uni degree, like the HSC, loses relevance over
time. And not a long period either. This is less so for higher degrees.

> So, before I jump off a bridge after being faced with this daunting
> prospect that I'm untalented and unmotivated (nothing wrong with
> being hubris :), is there anything *POSITIVE* about doing a Computer
> Science course ? Aside from being placed with people equally dull and as
> unimaginative as yourself :")

Most people probably have a talent for something, and when they find it,
they'll probably be motivated in some way.

> I know I've taken this the wrong way, after reading your reply I got the
> impression that the last year, and next 3 years of my life were/will be a
> complete and utter waste.

It depends what you make of it. Don't worry about the bit of paper, just
see what you can get them to teach you.

Peter