Re: [ProgSoc] icq for unix?

Damjan C. Frankovic (nerdimac@nospam.progsoc.uts.edu.au)
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 06:25:23 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, mtruong@nospam.acs.itd.uts.edu.au wrote:

> are there anyone out there who knows if there are any programs out there that will
> inform you when a person is logged in to unix just like icq for home computers?

something i use for itd and progsoc machines in my tcshrc:

if ( -r $HOME/.watches ) then
set watch=(1 `cat $HOME/.watches | grep . | awk '{printf $1 " any "}'`)
endif

and a file in your root directory called .watches contain just the logon
names for ppl for that machine:

ftoomsh[~]:5 >cat .watches
daniel
rheise
mestela
musicman
nerdimac
sherlock
mdunc
ftoomsh[~]:6 >

- DCF

Genuine happiness is when a wife sees a double chin on her husband's
old girl friend.