Re: Quantum computing

Scott Hopwood (shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au)
Mon, 8 May 1995 14:29:21 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 8 May 1995, Ryan Shelswell wrote:

> The quantum algorithm factorises large numbers, and does the discrete log
> thang, in Polynomial time (with bounded error). So... classical cryptography
> is pretty much completely broken by it. Any cryptography, I guess, that
> depends on current notions of intractability falls in the same boat.
>
> Apparently, though, he's working on "quantum cryptography" methods :-)

Yes he is, and yes they have. I went to his seminar on QCRY. It already
exists, but the longest distance an encrypted message has been transmitted
is only 30km (by British Telecom), along a normal coms grade fiber.

> It was really interesting, however he didn't go into details about quantum
> cryptography, it was more a basic survey of quantum computation. However,
> I think he's still at U. Wollongong, so a staff member is seeing about
> snarfing him for a seminar as we speak...
>
> ...let you know if anything happens.
>

> Ryan

Scott Hopwood 'When all else fails, consult an oracle.
(02) 351-3788 Usually, the best place to track down one
shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au is in the bottom of a glass of red.'
shopwood@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au